Partner Events Archive
First Central Asia Think Tank Development Forum
Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Institute and the Asian Development Bank organized the first Central Asia Think Tank Development Forum (CATTDF) in Astana, Kazakhstan on 20-21 June 2016. The Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Graduate School of Public Policy of Nazarbayev University provided support to the forum. About 80 participants from think tanks and research organizations representing the ten member countries of CAREC and Georgia, development partner agencies - European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, United Nations Development Program, and World Bank attended the forum.
The forum’s theme was “Promoting Economic Cooperation for an Integrated Central Asia”. It was divided into three segments: (i) economic prospects of Central Asia and regional economic entities; (ii) necessity, opportunities, and related challenges of strengthening infrastructure connectivity in the region; and (iii) benefits and feasibility of building a knowledge sharing network among the CAREC countries. ADB staff gave presentations in each of the segments.
- Juzhong Zhuang presented Asian Development Outlook 2016;
- Guntur Sugiyarto presented Meeting Infrastructure Needs for a Shared Prosperity: Key Challenges and Policy Implications;
- Arjun Goswami presented ADB’s Proposed RCI Operational Plan and Promoting Collective Action in CAREC;
- Dongxiang Li presented Networking Asian Think Tanks for Knowledge Sharing and Capacity Development: The Case of Asian Think Tanks Network; and
- Kenzhenhan Abuov presented CAREC Program: Improving Infrastructure Connectivity to Promote Construction of Economic Corridors and Economic Cooperation and Integration
Following the model of the ADB-Asian Think Tanks Network (ATTN), CAREC Institute pursued the establishment of a Central Asia Think Tank Network (CATTN). The objective of the CATTN is to enhance systematic regional knowledge sharing and integration, and create an enabling environment for knowledge-based policy advice in the region. With support from the participating think tanks during the CATTDF, the CATTN was established and the 2nd CATTDF scheduled in 2017. CATTDF will become CATTN’s annual flagship knowledge sharing event with hosting tasks rotated among CAREC countries.
CAREC Institute (CI) and the Central Asian think tanks appreciate ADB’s continued involvement and support to the CATTN for enhancing knowledge sharing and capacities. They are important partners for knowledge solutions and capacity development.